We may collect information automatically when you visit the Website, using cookies. The cookies allow us to identify your computer and find out details about your last visit. You can choose, below, not to allow cookies. If you do, we can't guarantee that your experience with the Website will be as good as if you do allow cookies. The information collected by cookies does not personally identify you; it includes general information about your computer settings, your connection to the Internet e.g. operating system and platform, IP address, your browsing patterns and timings of browsing on the Website and your location. Most internet browsers accept cookies automatically, but you can change the settings of your browser to erase cookies or prevent automatic acceptance if you prefer. These links explain how you can control cookies via your browser - remember that if you turn off cookies in your browser then these settings apply to all websites not just this one:
- Internet Explorer http://support.microsoft.com/kb/278835 (this page links to further information for different versions of IE - the mobile version is at http:/ /www.microsoft.com/windowsphone/en-us/howto/wp7/web/changing-privacy-and-other-browser-settings.aspx).
- Chrome: http://support.google.com/chrome/bin/answer.py?hl=en-GB&answer=95647
- Safari: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=Safari/5.0/en/9277.html (or http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1677for mobile versions)
- Firefox: http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/ Enabling%20and%20disabling%20cookies
- Blackberries: http://docs.blackberry.com/en/smartphone_users/deliverables/ 32004/Turn_off_cookies_in_the_browser_60_1072866_11.jsp
- Android: http://support.google.com/mobile/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=169022
- Opera: http://www.opera.com/browser/tutorials/security/privacy/
Types of cookie that may be used during your visit to the Website:
The following types of cookie are used on this site. We don't list every single cookie used by name - but for each type of cookie we tell you how you can control its use.
These cookies are used to recognise repeat visitors to the Website and in conjunction with other information we hold to attempt to record specific browsing information (that is, about the way you arrive at the Website, pages you view, options you select, information you enter and the path you take through the Website). These are used to recommend content we think you'll be interested in based on what you're looked at before.
These monitor how visitors move around the Website and how they reached it. This is used so that we can see total (not individual) figures on which types of content users enjoy most, for instance. You can opt out of these if you want:
- Omniture: http://www.omniture.com/en/privacy/2o7#optout
- Google: https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout
Third-party service cookies
- Facebook's data use policy: http://www.facebook.com/about/privacy/your-info-on-other
- AddThis (the service that runs some of our social sharing buttons): http://www.addthis.com/privacy#.T6j--usS0bw
- Storify's (a service that is sometimes used to embed a series of tweets) terms of service: http://storify.com/tos
Our own ad serving and management cookies
We sell space on some of our websites to advertisers - they pay for the content you enjoy for free. As part of this, we use several services to help us and advertisers understand what adverts you might be interested in. These cookies hold information about the computer - they don't hold personal information about you (ie it's not linked to you as an individual). But they might hold a record of what other websites you've looked at - so we could show you a car advert if you've previously visited a motoring website. These are the services we use and how you can control those cookies. Please note that turning off advertising cookies won't mean that you are not served any advertising merely that it will not be tailored to your interests.
Other ad management cookies
Advertisements on the Website are provided by other organisations. Our advertising partners will serve advertisements that they believe are most likely to be of interest to you, based on information about your visit to the Website and other websites. In order to do this, our advertising partner may need to place a cookie on your computer. These cookies hold information about the computer - they don't hold personal information about you (ie it's not linked to you as an individual). For more information about this type of online behavioural advertising, about cookies, and about how to turn this feature off, please visit http://www.youronlinechoices.com/uk/ Please note that turning off advertising cookies won't mean that you are not served any advertising merely that it will not be tailored to your interests.
- Site management cookies
These are used to maintain your identity or session on the Website. For instance, where our websites run on more than one server, we use a cookie to ensure that you are sent information by one specific server (otherwise you may log in or out unexpectedly). We may use similar cookies when you vote in opinion polls to ensure that you can only vote once, and to ensure that you can use our commenting functionality when not logged in (to ensure you don't see comments you've reported as abusive, for instance, or don't vote comments up/down more than once). These cookies cannot be turned off individually but you could change your browser setting to refuse all cookies (see above) if you do not wish to accept them.